Friday, November 10, 2006

A month ago I found a pair of boots I liked, they were very pricey, so I did what I always do and waited for the sale. Usually this results in the store no longer having my size come sale time or my opinion changes after trying them on. But yesterday was different, the boots went on sale (that very day), my size was available and I liked them on. Got the boots 40% off plus an additional 20% (cause the salesman found me so adorable).

This is my first pair of flat boots (aside from snow boots) since childhood, but as a busy mom -- yeah yeah, all my beautiful stilt-like shoes aren't getting much use these days. I would prefer heels, but I need something I can wear while whisking away a 30 pound sack-like creature pitching his obligatory public fit.

Let it stand on record I am pro-comfortable shoes, despite my visual aesthetic preferences.

But that does not excuse one of the latest boot fashion trends that has been around for several years and shows no sign of waning. Yep, that's right, I'm talking about UGGs -- and the name describes it perfectly, UGH! These unattractive, shapeless, hunks of blah on way too many women's feet are not flattering. They're about as cute as overalls, meaning if you're over the age of 10 and you're not doing farm work (or in the outback throwing shrimps on the barbie), you look ridiculous.

What I'm saying is this: I don't care how warm or comfortable UGGs are, I don't care if Jackie O pulls herself out of her grave for the sole purpose of donning a pair -- you won't ever find those monstrosities on my feet.

6 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Time Out New York complained about them last year, which made me hope I'd never have to see one again. Down with UGGS. I read somewhere this year flat boots (your kind) are in. Of course they're in. You can walk without spraining your ankle or looking like your feet ate a care bear.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Ivy said...

I've never liked them and I grew up in Australia! You're only supposed to wear them indoors to keep you warm and never in public. I always found them deeply mortifying and could hardly believe it when they became so-called fashion items. Bah! Keep them indoors, people! Out of sight!

Phew. Thanks for that. :-)

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger RL said...

Ivy, I didn't know that, but explains alot. Wearing them indoors makes sense! Like slippers and bathrobes.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger WS Poetry said...

Those are some sick sick footwear. Everyone should write their congressperson about them. Tonight.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Radish King said...

I wouldn't wear them indoors either. Chicky Wang, your care bear comment made me snort really really loud. I'm going to steal it.

Women who wear uggs deserve men with really white legs in the summer who wear white socks with their sandals.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

When I was walking into the super market tonight some girl came out wearing a pair of black ones with a lot of black fur on the top. She got into an old beater that pulled up to the door to get her. I know why they picked her up at the door, because had Joan Rivers been lurking in the parking lot and witnessed this sin, she would've mowed her down and screamed into the mic "Ah, I just ran over Paris and Nicole! Ah! Hit reverse! Ah!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home