Friday, May 26, 2006

Varmint Update

A couple days ago my suspicions were confirmed -- right before dusk I saw a raccoon climbing down a tree out back and onto our deck. I took a picture through a glass door. It's not such a good picture because I was probably standing too close to the glass and well, the windows are a little, ahem, spotty, ok. A little while ago I saw the raccoon climbing down the tree again with what initially looked like a squirrel in its mouth -- then I realized it wasn't a squirrel, it was a baby raccoon -- I thought, oh my God, she's eating her baby. But no, she was not eating her baby, she was carrying it. She was taking her baby for what a appeared to be a walk.

There's a family of varmints living on our roof/possisbly in our chimney. I did a little online research and usually raccoons are born in litters of four, so it's likely there's more babies up there. I also discovered that she's probably a single mom because dad raccoons don't hang around and help out.

I thought raccoons were nocturnal. It's a sunny day. Why is she taking her baby out now?

And just now she went up the tree sans baby and a minute later came down with another baby. Maybe they're moving? She needs one of those multi-offspring strollers.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Radish King said...

oh my God, she's eating her baby


Damn, this made me laugh. I mean, racoons probably do eat their babies occasionlly, who doesn't? But it still makes me laugh. As for the mother taking the baby for a walk, well. I guess I thought everyone in your entire state sort of lived in the country. Then again, I can't find Canada on a map.

TOR

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger femme feral said...

we had raccoons in our attic this winter. They were so noisy! But I think they are cute.

Did you read that mom raccoons will adopt other orphan raccoons?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home