Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Me Too

Something is in the air.

Monday was the first time I've been pulled over since my "I'm pregnant and late for Dan Nester's reading" ticket of 2005. And guess what, I was late for the Burlesque reading and had Betsy Wheeler in the car -- but I wasn't speeding (this time). See, I was so wrapped up in our conversation, I missed my exit and accidently got onto 66. Within seconds there was a cop with sirens. I thought he was just trying to get around me, but no he was pulling me over -- and he scared the shit out of both of us, I thought for sure he was going to pump us both full of lead and kept my hands on the top of the steering wheel so he'd have no just cause. He slinked up behind the car, with one hand on his fun stick and the other tapping my car and I can't even accurately describe how he was behaving other than he thought we just robbed a bank. Either this officier just got out of the academy a few hours before or we matched a description.

My tags were expired, but were paid, just lost (Last year Chris said he'd put them on my car, never did and then they vanished). And of course my most recent registration in the car was from 2003. I'm sure Tender Buttons is mentally preparing her legal chiding as she reads this. Look little sis, as long as it's legal for poets to drive these things will continue.

Long story short, the cop didn't shoot us, I didn't get a ticket and he lightened up after he realized we weren't crimminals.

And I didn't even have to pull out my "I'm late for a poetry reading" excuse.

Next time.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha.

dude. i *just* got virginia plates after living there over a year; i still have my ny drivers' license and not a VA one; the (expired) inspection sticker is from NY, not VA... yes. as long as poets are allowed to drive these problems will continue.

ah.

the reading looks like it was a blast though!

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last day of the month. Quotas must be met.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger RL said...

The reading was a blast! A great way to kick off 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home