Friday, February 22, 2008

Sorry, I've been too busy to post much here lately, hopefully that'll change when Chris gets back. I'm starting work on Karl Parker's Personations. I'm pretty excited about that -- most of you haven't heard of him and this book will knock your lacy socks right off. After that's done I'm doing celebrity blogger Rebecca Loudon's Cadaver Dogs. That's all the titles from No Tell Books in 2008.

For 2009 I'm co-editing an anthology with nerd-chic Charlie Jensen (more details about that to come in the not too distant future). I'm also very seriously considering a manuscript by a current No Tell Books author for early 2009. I think that's all I'm doing for 2009 as well. Maybe I'll publish my second book with No Tell Books too, if it's finished and if Coconut Books doesn't cough up my six figure advance. Your Ten Favorite Words is selling trillions and I haven't seen a dime and I just heard Bruce Covey bought a medium-sized island off the the coast of Atlanta. Hmmm . . .

Anyhow, I can't maintain publishing 5 books a year, it's making me loopy, it's cutting too much into my own writing -- which lately has been non-existent because all my "not publishing other people" time and my "hassling Bruce Covey for my god damn money" time goes to Gideon. It's making me really cranky too. I don't need editors, assitants or interns to manage and cause me more work, I need to to cut back. Maybe in 2010 when Gideon is in full-time school I'll be able to ramp it up again. Or maybe I'll be greedy and use all that extra time for my own books.

Below are some links to new issues put together by people (many of whom are also raising children) spending a lot of time publishing other poets (and getting skunky rich!) as well. Check them out.

Drunken Boat

Action Yes

Wicked Alice

The Scrambler

Caffeine Destiny

Dusie

MiPOesias


Now excuse me, Gideon's getting a bath and then we're picking up his daddy at the airport.

12 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes of course. The money. All that stinking money. I am considering buying the island next to Bruce. Or maybe now that Fidel has resigned, I will buy that.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If Bruce is too busy with his new island and everything, I will publish your book in 2009.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger shanna said...

i hear ya!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger DUSIE said...

i also hear ya! what we might consider doing is some kind of collective of sorts for all of us crazies where we only (at least at first) concentrate on publishing the board!

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerball is over 100 million today.

hahaha

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger RL said...

Susana, the collective is an interesting idea. :)

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger DUSIE said...

this is how things happen! hahaha, i have been thinking about it all morning! this could definitely create a much needed space and alleviate issues of self-publishing,if there is a vision and a team which reviews, etc...tho i personally think self-publishing is very hip! alas, it would be somewhat in manner as well, but project time would vary obviously greatly and then there is others to bounce off ideas with regarding everything from design to content, etc.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger RL said...

Would it be like the Dusie collective -- where everyone would diy their own chap -- and use the same imprint?

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger RL said...

Oh, and I'm not so interested in alleviating issues of self-publishing -- in fact, I'm very interested *in* self-publishing and intend on doing more of that.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger DUSIE said...

it would not be the Dusie collective...that monster grows enough as it is...I would prefer it to be a whole 'other' thing, adventure...maybe a group run press, with the same basic mark/imprint and perhaps an ideology. sort of what bloof is doing...methinks. Personally, while I have no issues regarding self-publishing, ummm as I do it all the time...I would love to have another outlet in way of presses...I think I might be too much ofmyself... to publish a book with Dusie..if I were to publish a non-anth sort of bookbook that would be different...but who knows...

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger RL said...

Hmm, I guess I'd have to hear more about it if it came to fruition -- cause I'm paring down all my duties and putting anything I have left over into my own work. I've marked 2008 and 2009 as "me" years.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home