Thursday, March 05, 2009

Good

Trying to impress on Gideon that just because a one-in-a-half-year old repeatedly puts things in her mouth despite being told not to, that doesn't make her a bad baby. Trying to explain that there are no bad babies. That all babies put things in their mouths because they don't know better. That he did it when he was a baby. That someday she'll grow up and stop doing it too. I tell him the story about how I once found a nickel in his mouth. Point out that he does naughty things himself sometimes like home vandalism and toilet busting yet he's still good. That everybody does naughty things. Even Mommy. He nods his head in agreement to that statement. Apparently I'm quite naughty.

Yet he still likes me. But he's firm that he doesn't like the baby because she puts things in her mouth. Some babies are bad he tells me like I'm naive and need the world explained. They're not friends anymore. He refuses to play with her. It's causing issues at daycare. I tell him that he's the big boy and he needs to be sweet and good to the baby, even if she doesn't listen and puts things in her mouth. I ask him to tell me some of the good things the baby does. He tells me that she takes a nap after lunch. That's wonderful!, I respond. Does she giggle? Just a little bit. Does she like the same cartoons as you? Yes. Does she like to play with toys? Yes, she puts them in her mouth. She's a bad baby.

I'm failing in my communication.

He's four, I cut him lots of slack. Tell myself that this is an age-appropriate view of the world and his will evolve over time.

And if not, he can always grow up to write poetry reviews for major publications. He's got the declarative statement-making and dismissiveness down pat.

6 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Annandale Dream Gazette said...

Hm...I wonder if he's picked something up from one of the adults in the room & is modeling one of the daycare people. It sounds that way, to me, for some reason. What an adorable child you have!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger RL said...

Yeah, it's a home daycare with just a few children -- so I'm thinking it's possible the daycare provider is saying something like "bad baby" when the little girl puts something in her mouth in an attempt to discourage her. I also think that since Gideon's been going there for a couple years and has such a close relationship with that family, he might be treated a little more special than the rest of the kids. He may have delusions of goodness. :)

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dunno- you don't have to like everybody you are around- he can just play with someone else, can't he?

I've never had a job where I liked everybody- I can name quite a few bad babies.

yeah, I'm probably an elitist, and so are my kids.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Radish King said...

Show him this!

http://tinyurl.com/ak4dwj

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger mgushuedc said...

Your last paragraph had me in stitches.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger RL said...

Shann, well, he doesn't have to LIKE the baby, but he has to be nice to her. She IS a baby afterall. That was our discussion this morning. And it's a very small daycare, just a few kids.

Rebecca, I'll show him that picture tonight and get back to you on the good/bad verdict.

Michael, good seeing you last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home