Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Aw fuck

Poets Die Young - U.S. Study

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Poets die young -- younger than novelists, playwrights and other writers, a U.S. researcher said on Wednesday

It could be because poets are tortured and prone to self-destruction, or it could be that poets become famous young, so their early deaths are noticed, said James Kaufman of the Learning Research Institute at California State University at San Bernardino. . .


We become famous young?

. . . ""What I found was pretty consistent with the death finding actually, female poets were much more likely to suffer from mental illness (e.g., be hospitalized, commit suicide, attempt suicide) than any other kind of writer and more likely than other eminent women," he said.

"I've dubbed this the 'Sylvia Plath Effect."' . . .


Oh, that's original.

. . . "There could also be a more benign explanation for poets' early demise, Kaufman said. "Poets produce twice as much of their lifetime output in their twenties as novelists do," he said."

Here I thought I had my whole life ahead of me. Must be the mental illness. I am fucked.

----------

Thank for passing that on, TB. As if the rejection from an esteemed journal in today's mail wasn't enough to make my day peachy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home