Tuesday, May 17, 2005

On Having It All

A couple weeks ago I was having dinner with a poet a few years younger than me. During the meal she said, "You have it ALL!" and started listing all the things I had. I interrupted and blurted, "But I don't have a book!" and started listing all the things I wanted that seemed hopelessly out of reach. That was a really stupid thing to say and I wish I hadn't. I couldn't help thinking that when I was her age, I desperately wanted all things she had, her publications, her degree, her "exciting" city-dwelling single life. Her freedom! When I was her age I was spending my days in a cubicle tugging at my too small bra thinking "I thought I was going to be somebody" and "Is it almost time for lunch?"

I need to learn how to be gracious. I need to stop getting so wrapped up in everything I want and remember I'm not a four year old selling chicklets to tourists. I need to remember that my 3 month son has a freakin' dental card already. I need to stop feeling like my day is ruined because that privileged and loved little boy wouldn't let me read a single poem in the new Canary or The Hat at the chain cafe where I was trying to front like my life hasn't totally been turned upside down. See cause he's young and a snob and wants to watch me eat my hummus veggie sandwich somewhere trendy and hip and I'm all "Tough shit, this is NoVa where corporations rool!" He says, "I want to live somewhere cooler, more literary." and I respond, "Tough shit. Cool and literary won't buy you those braces I promise you you'll need so thank your Kushies ultra cloth diapers (that are both ecologically sound and spare your bottom from rashes) that your daddy dances for the biggest anti-christ out there cause if it was left to me we'd be in a cult and I'd already have arranged your marriage to secure my position as high priestess of the goonies."

I think about my friend who got divorced last year. Both he and his wife were unhappy. I get the distinct impression that now that he's "free" he wishes he would have tried a lot harder to fix that marriage before it was too late.

I have to remind myself that I don't really want to be free. I don't really want it "all".

Still, I do want that book. So please backchannel with the names and what exactly is required. Knee socks or garters? I'm quite clueless when it comes this kind of stuff.

10 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's that about the bra?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Rebecca--

When I was young and doctors were telling me to give up on having a kid 'cause it was never going to happen, I wrote a poem called Bargaining With God. I don't even much remember it, but it became my little agreement with the devil perhaps. All my future success, etc, etc. for That and, well Life.

Well here it is, several geological eras later and my son is graduating college in a month. Thing is, I still haven't published my damn book, the one that everyone says not to worry about because it will be taken real soon.

So.... so, I don't know. I wouldn't take the bargain back. But can't I have Everything? Please?

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger RL said...

Once upon a time I said I wouldn't have a kid until I had a book, but then the realization that menopause might present itself sooner . . .

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When can you start drinking again? Cause you need to tie on a serious drunk before you lapse completely into old womanhood.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger RL said...

I'm drinking now (well, not this exact moment).

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Before you know it your kid(s?) will be in school and you'll wonder what the hell you did with yourself before you had him/them. Unless you have 10 mss waiting to be published, why not savor the anticipation? Think about it: your book gets picked up, you tour it, and then what? Then you feel like you should have been writing another book instead of touring the first one. I don't actually have a full-length book, but I do have an over-active imagination. Enjoy the promise of what might be!

I think I've had too much coffee this morning. ;-)

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Laurel said...

Oh, I am SO right there with you....

My life? Corporate hubby pays the bills and enables poet-wifey to take a year off, write and make a baby... but selfish wifey bitches and moans because she finds hubby's commute intolerable... Or because she misses living in a community of flaky-writer-types, because she wants (on alternating days) to move to Brooklyn and Asheville, NC.

Makes me feel like I don't appreciate my amazing husband enough, that I don't appreciate what he's doing for me... that I forget how lucky I am.

And I know that if he quit his job to work in a music store, and I went back to working in a coffee shop (which is how it is in my head until I get a book and a cushy teaching job)I'd be miserable and poor and stressed, and never have time to write...

But still, this isn't how I PLANNED it!!!!

When does the book/cushy teaching job hop along? When do I find the small town in the mountains that happens to be 30 minutes from the East Village?

When do I stop bitching at my incredibly generous and supportive husband?

Somewhere over the rainbow....

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

In a sense, Reb, you are free. It's just that you are a different kind of free than the 20-something you mentioned.

It seems completely human (normal) to me to want what we don't have. I have a FABULOUS husband, home, and a fantastic life. I don't have a book yet, but I keep thinking I have all these other great things that people with books don't have. It all equals out somehow in the end.

Deborah at 32 poems

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Radish King said...

I have a shitty life, but a book and another on the way.

*cackle*

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the elusive "all" over our swanky dinner...I think "all" can mean anything...I mean, the grass is always greener and sometimes I think we have it all already, but we're just too silly to realize...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home