Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Recent Revelation

It would not be untrue to say one of the main reasons I wanted to have a child was so I'd have an excuse to do a bunch of arts and crafts projects.

I never needed an excuse to write poems or bead. But I feel like I need one to finger paint or iron leaves in wax paper.

Right now I have no time to bead and very little time to write poems. If I gave Gideon paste, he'd smear it all over his face. Probably eat it.

Everyone says treasure these moments because they grow up so fast.

But I want him to hurry and grow up. I'm anxious to do projects with him, instead of to him (what happens if I . . . he cries! no, he's laughing! no, he's barfing!)

I'll convert my writing studio in the basement into our craft workshop. I'll find a cheap place to rent for my writing studio. I'll get a nanny to watch him two days a week so I can write, the other three we'll spend in the craft workshop -- making crap and hanging it on the walls like an art gallery.

This is the dream. This is when it would benefit us to live in a more affordable area -- in a place I could actually afford to pay for a writing studio and child care. But this is where the jobs are and somebody needs to have one. Leaves and pine cones don't grow on . . .

oh wait, they do.

It's everything else that doesn't and honestly, I don't want to live in the sticks.

I'm going to have to find a way to make it work here.

1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Alison Pelegrin said...

Reb--

Hang in there! I have a two-year-old and three-year-old, and I was able to satisfy my crafting urge by creating very elaborate costumes for halloween and Mardi Gras--Harry Potter, dinosur, lion (60 yards of grosgrain), Uncle Sam, Scarecrow from Oz, The Blues Brothers (my personal favorite) and, this halloween, Peter Pan. And our new dog will be captain hook.

Alison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home