Friday, January 27, 2006

Post-Publishing Notes

Some folks have asked for me to share my experience with Lulu so from time to time, I'll post my impressions.

So far, I've had a very positive experience with Lulu -- they're easy to use, have good customer service and their PR people have been helpful. They truly make everything easy -- I doubt I would have been able to do all of this, especially not in the short amount of time, if I had to take care of everything myself.

Lulu ships the books fast and the quality is good.

I also ordered 1 copy of the book on Amazon and B&N to see what that would be like. Books ordered through Lulu and other retail outlets are done by different printers.

I ordered the book on Amazon on January 11 and despite it being advertised as "usually ships in 24 hours" -- it didn't ship until January 24. I haven't received it yet. They estimate "February 15" with the free super saver shipping. Great. Over a month for a book that "usually ships in 24 hours."

The book from B&N that I ordered on January 22 arrived today. The quality of the book is definitely not as good as the ones printed by Lulu. The cover and paper is a lighter stock, more flimsy. It doesn't look terrible, but it does feel a little cheap. So, for $4 more you'll get a lesser quality book. B&N seems to have no problem shipping it promptly -- Amazon, well, I always have trouble with them so maybe they just hate me.

That is a downside of POD right now. I believe the benefits outweigh this -- for instance, the book is available all over the world, and I've seen it on British and Korean book sites -- but I can't be sure what they're printing it on. It's a trade-off. I'm chosing the ease and affordability of publishing and distribution and am giving up some degree of control of the materials used to make the book.

NOTE: According to Clay Banes, books purchased through Ingram are exactly the same as the Lulu books. That's good news.

5 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger CLAY BANES said...

the two i got for the store from ingram are exactly the same as the one i ordered for myself from lulu.

so your notes can be complete.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger RL said...

I'm glad to hear that, thanks Clay.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Abulsme said...

By the way, the time from my order confirmation at Amazon to the time I got my notice saying that it had been shipped and was on the way was 21 hours and 1 minute. Just another data point. When I get it I'll let you know what the fit and finish looks like given the apperant variation there.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Rik said...

My experiences of publishing with Lulu.com pretty much mirror your own. The production is not for the faint-of-heart, but there's lots of help on the Lulu.com site and forums if you dig around. The Lulu-printed books were (in my opinion) better than those printed by the 3rd party printers.

Amazon.com seem to have major issues handling POD books - their delivery times for my book varied from 24hrs to 4-6 weeks and then back to 24hrs all within the course of a fortnight. Reports I've got back from people buying the book via Amazon is that delivery averages around 3 weeks from the order date.

Oh, and beware of the amazon.com "used and new" feature. One person buying my book had a horrendous experience with that option.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger RL said...

Thanks everybody -- yesterday I finally received the book from Amazon -- it was the same as the B&N one -- lighter stock cover and paper. It's not terrible -- it's just not as nice as Lulu. And like I said, $4 more (and, btw, I the royalty from those books are considerably less)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home