Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Thank you everyone who chimed in on the what constitutes publishing? discussion.

I think when it comes down to it, if an editor/publication makes demands I consider unreasonable, requirements that unnecessarily limit what I can do with my own work -- especially considering what these editors/publications are offering in return (no $$$, small readership) -- that's an editor/publication my work can do without. I don't care how gorgeous and charming the boy is -- if he's a control freak, tells me what I can and cannot eat, how I should dress, tries to select my friends -- well, I'm going to the prom stag, probably have a better time anyhow -- and he'd probably be happier with a girl who's so gosh darn happy to receive any attention she'd happily trade in her own personality and convictions. She's out there, waiting for him -- they deserve to be together.

I say that as an editor/publisher who isn't interested in reprinting work that's already appeared in other magazines. As someone who gets more than a little bent out of shape when sim. submitters don't bother informing me when work is accepted elsewhere. This isn't a screw your editor/publisher post. No, kiss your editors/publishers. Acknowledge and appreciate those who have supported and promoted your work, likely for no payment or benefit other than the satisfaction of supporting and promoting something one believes is wonderful.

And if you don't agree with a magazine's policies -- don't waste your or their time. If some boy offers to take me on an all expense paid trip but beforehand requires I wear a Princess Leia bikini and a hot pink Hitler mustache or hell, merely requires I attend a one hour timeshare pitch -- I don't care how badly I'm jonesing for a weekend in Vegas. I'm not going to say: "Let me think about it." I'm not going with him. Period. I'll find my own transporation.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger red-handed said...

But what if you've never had a date ... never so much as seen another human being with their shirt off.
Of course you're right, about taking the higher road, but I think you might be turned around on how strong the low impulse can go.
Desperation is like rocket fuel.
Or money.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger RL said...

Hmm, point taken -- and it's not like I haven't dated some toads myself. Sometimes you have to try something so you can make up your own conclusions.

Of course, other artists don't usually wait for someone else to give them permission to share their work. I never heard of a galley not displaying a painting because the painter originally hung it promentiently in his personal workspace -- even if it was a workspace frequented by many. I could understand if they didn't want to offer the same show the gallery down street put on a few months earlier. Does a photography magazine refuse to run a photo if the photographer used it to make postcards? Or -- alas and directly -- posted it on his blog?

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Paul said...

What have I gotta do to get you in that Princess Leia bikini?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger RL said...

Ah Paul, if I told you that I'd lose all of my mysterious allure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home