Friday, January 25, 2008

One MicroPress Woe

Book returns.

No Tell Books has a no return policy -- but truth be told, if a bookstore pushes for it, I fold and agree to it. Why? Because if I don't, that means the author gets screwed because the bookstore ends up not buying any books. So I agree on the stipulation that the books are returned in perfect condition. Usually this is the case, the bookstore (almost always an independent) takes care to package the books properly.

But not always. For instance a university bookstore ordered 20 copies for an author event -- that's a big deal and I readily agreed when they pressed for a book return option (as long as they're returned in good condition). They agreed. Today -- 14 books arrived back -- 8 of which have crushed/torn spines (which probably happened in transit, they weren't packaged very well).

Now I'm in the difficult position of either contacting the bookstore and informing them of the condition of the books and hope they remedy the situation or not pursuing the matter and sucking it up -- knowing I can't sell these books. I can still use them as review copies, although the majority of those have already been sent, but there's always requests and AWP is next week.

4 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Talia Reed said...

How about a "bargain bin?"

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger RL said...

Well the problem is the only sales I do online are subscriptions (those books have to be new) -- and the rest are done in person and I don't want to fill my bag with damaged books instead of new ones. I suppose if I get enough damaged books I could offer something, but I'd rather not have damaged books period -- I have to sell them at a loss and I don't exactly have a lot of storage space.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

or you could send ME a review copy.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger RL said...

Tony, I will!

Reb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home