Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Thoughts on Other Online Presences

GoodReads - this is my favorite online networking site because it's about books. It has real utility in my life. I don't have to "know" somebody personally to become their "friend" but I do have a criteria: the person has to be rating contemporary poetry (or books on Jungian topics). Cause I'm there to discover new books. On a daily basis I decline "friendships" with promotion-nut authors with thousands of "friends" and no poetry books in their library. I block the lecherous men with no poetry books and hundreds of "friendships" with ladies with pretty profile pics.

MySpace - No Tell Books has a presence on there and I check it about once a month. If you're a real human being, I'll probably accept your "friend" request, but it might sit there for a while before I get to it. I'm over the age of 15 so I can't go there too often, else I'll have a seizure.

FaceBook - It's the place for people who aren't interesting enough to blog to have a shallow online presence. On the plus side, it has an elegant interface. I appreciate that. I held out for a long time, but recently joined. I accept the majority of friend requests. One can never have too many pretend friends.

5 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to add a challenge question on Goodreads, so marketeering authors would quit friending me:

"I post news on my blog. News about what? (Answer is 1 word.)"

LOL.

It's worked though.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Justin Evans said...

I don't have to worry about people thinking I'me sexy. It cuts down on the eroneous friend requests. In fact, nobody has everto my knowledge confused me with sexy. It just doesn't happen. Ever.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Emily A. Benton said...

I'm still too scared to join Facebook, and honestly all this social networking can wear one out!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Lee Herrick said...

I think all networking can get tiring. I have a Facebook, which I use more for keeping in touch with friends (some poets, mostly not) rather than a poetry presence, which my blog does (mildly). I got on GoodReads, but I can't keep up with it. I rarely check it and probably have less than ten "friends."

For book ideas, I'm still old school---I hang out in the bookstore. And as for blogrolls, I used to have a bunch of people on mine, and then in one click of a button, I inadvertently erased all of them and have been too lazy to try to recreate it.

Myspace gives me a headache.

Oh well.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I added a challenge question to my Goodreads as well, which has cut down on my friend requests, too.

I also discovered that you can "remove" problemmatic Goodreads friends without them knowing you removed them.

That is very helpful for eliminating those retirees with nothing better to do than add every single book to their "to-read" list and comment on all their 1000 friends' profiles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home