Saturday, September 06, 2008

This morning I woke up early and drove 2 1/2 hours through Tropical Storm Hanna to participate in a publishing fair. It was a sucky drive and towards the end, when the weather started clearing up and I was 6 miles away from Cumberland, MD, I tried to "make up some time." About sixty seconds after that bright idea, Smokey snagged me. He was such a gentleman he only wrote me up for 74 in a 65 instead of the 81 mph I was actually going.

I arrived at the publishing fair exhausted, dejected and not too positive. The book tables were under a small tent outside in the middle of a parking lot. The strong wind kept knocking over my books. I expected the day to continue on this miserable track.

But it was surprisingly nice. I got to hang with Ed Ochester, met several nearby publishers I never knew existed, traded a few books, sold 13 (!!!! -- and many of those were sold to STUDENTS, undergrads -- further justifing my preference of undergrad over graduate) AND, I think I found an INTERN.

Yep, that's right, Ms. I-Don't-Need-No-Stinkin'-Intern might have an intern. Guess I'm softening with age. I was talking to the folks at Raw Dog Press and they were telling me all about what they have their interns do, things I never considered. I started thinking about it, I've been re-evaluating lots of things lately. Two minutes later a Frostburg undergrad who was helping with the fair approached me about an internship. It was like all the stars aligning, the planets syncing, a sign from a higher power, that and he overheard the conversation. His timing was perfect and I told him that if he asked me about an internship three hours earlier I would have told him to fuck off.

As I drove home, obeying all the speed limits, I came up with a lot of things an intern could do for No Tell. We'll see how this goes.

5 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Blogger jill alexander essbaum said...

I think the intern thing is a good idea-- it melds nicely with my own feelings that we all have the responsibility to bring the young'uns up into the fold, so to speak. It's also along the lines with you using design students to do covers and layouts-- it's nice for their resumes, among other things.

Though, I am reminded of an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer got himself an intern. Not that you are anything like Kramer, of course. Just that he had one too.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger steven karl said...

Haha Jill I remember that episode!

Reb,

I think an intern is a good route to explore- I interned at Teachers & Writers Collaborative & it was a really good experience.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger shanna said...

there are no interns out in the sticks where i live, or i'd have one. but my husband and my neighbor dawn help me pack boxes and sometimes answer email. it's a huge help!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger RL said...

This intern will be mostly telecommuting -- he's 2 1/2 hours from my house. That was one of the things the Raw Dog Press explained -- you don't have to have interns hanging around your house! That's what the internets are for.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Angie Ledbetter said...

Nice blog!

Hope the intern makes up for the nasty drive and ticket! ;)

Thanks again for participating in the Rose & Thorn's blog editorial interview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home