Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spent a blissfuly lazy family weekend, mostly in our pajamas. Watched Return of the Jedi and the first Harry Potter. We planned on going into DC on Tuesday, but our only way is the metro and they're expecting nonstop "crushing" crowds and we just don't feel like it's a good idea with our almost-four year old. It's a disappointment to not be there, but if Gideon got stepped-on or hurt, we'd feel terrible. So this evening I purchased some Obama Hope cookies (cause we already ate the Obama face ones). Gideon and I will watch from home and have a cookie party.

Intrigued with Anne's recent post and the ensuing discussion in the comment field. Not that I'm jonesing for gloom and doom, but I don't see a bounce back to the way things have been on a poetry distribution or national level. In response to some comments here, I love the idea of a poet being part of the inaugural ceremony and think Obama's choice of Elizabeth Alexander is a fine one. I don't want to diminish the significance and I'm sure that will boost both her profile and Graywolf's sales, but I don't see a trickle down effect for other poets and presses. And I don't see any easy fixes to our country's predicament. So I think it's important for poets to consider and be more creative with how we get our work out there. That is if you're interested in having any readers at all.

Appreciated this excerpt by Ann Lauterbach posted up at Harriet. Hardly enjoying the ensuing discussion in the comment field. So much talk of the power and fame of poetry. What a curious tool to use to achieve such things. What a curious thing to insist and dismiss on.

One thing I did a little work on this weekend was attempt to answer this interview question by Tom Beckett: "Your Ten Favorite Words is funny and sexy, but it's not just that. It's also angry and a kind of sustained investigation of "the feminine" (if I'm reading it correctly), or maybe I should say of "feminine-masculine relations?"

Last night I wrote a big long answer, but it felt off so I'm going to try again tonight. This is tricky for me. I mean yes, the poems most certainly are investigations of "feminine-masculine relations." But what else should I say about that? That's what I'm struggling with tonight.

5 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger mgushuedc said...

Thank you for pointing out Anne's post--very interesting reading. I don't know if I agree that micro-presses will disappear. Our "business model" at Vrzhu is as sophisticated as that of a lemonade stand (and damn good lemonade it is), but it's not really a choice between paying this month's utilities and putting out the next book. I can't pay this month's utilities anyway. And putting a book out requires money, but is much more of a time investment.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger RL said...

Oh Michael, I agree. I think more micropresses will get through these times than larger indie presses, because micropresses are more flexible and adaptable

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Collin Kelley said...

Lord, there's enough circle jerking going on over at Harriet and enough gloom and doom at Anne's blog to make you just want to give up. That's the kinda crap I just have no interest in reading anymore. It doesn't further poetry in any shape or form, it's just more of the usual suspects moaning.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger shanna said...

Tom's questions are sometimes hard (i.e. thoughtful, something he actually wants to know), but that's what makes his interviews so compelling to read. Can't wait to see yours!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Marvelous Steve said...

Here you go: Obama Haiku Cookies. You put one word per cookie in three stacks in a lovely "commemorative" box. People will eat it up! They can even rearrange the cookies until they rhyme!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home