Saturday, May 29, 2004

The Games We Play

I wouldn't have pegged Junot Diaz as a role player/D&D type, but I don't think it's that unusual of an activity for a writer to do as a child. It's the desire to create places and characters, a desire most "creative" writers have. As a child I invented my own country and made myself ruler. Since I was the oldest in the neighborhood, it was easy to bully all the other kids into being my subjects. I guess I always was a control freak (tyrant) because eventually a coup (usually led by the traitorous mutineer, Tender Buttons) would ensue into a civil war.

There were other role playing games I invented, but looking back on them, they're kind of disturbing and say more than I'd like to share about myself here. But they seemed fun at the time. For me at least.

3 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody played it back in the day. At least all the nerds I hung out with...

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger RL said...

The boys in my neighborhood rode dirt bikes and broke stuff. The non-bad boy types played little league. There was no D&D to be seen.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

I rode dirt-bikes and broke stuff AND played D&D. And Champions. Champions was awesome.

Anyway--the last time I got really good and drunk (back in Feb. or early Mar.) my drinking companion and I encountered a street busker who took requests. Long story short--he couldn't play ANY of the songs we requested, which were all the basic classic-rock standards that any idjit with three chords should be able to at least fake. Anyway, he played the same Pink Floyd song three times in a row before I asked him to play an original. He busted out an instrumental wonk-a-thon, and I (according to drinking buddy--I really don't remember) busted out a few verses of freestyle D&D rap. He said I was bragging about my prowess with a longbow, but lamenting my lack of constitution (7) which left me with sores on my legs. I think I also worked in a verse about my kickass armorclass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home