Monday, May 24, 2004

Since It's Neat to Get Poems Dedicated

Clutch

for Anthony Robinson

Who wants this boxcar
Waiting, these cardboard
Tubes? I think everyone
Wants each other’s
Arms, those error-filled limbs
Flailing everywhere but
Around us. They
Pull you in just so they can
Shove you away.
There’s something to be said for that
Whopping one person and its not
Chopped liver or potato salad or
Lemon asparagus.
Anthony, Tony, Antonio,
It’s all comparable, the
Enemy, the friend, the untrustworthy lover
Full of charm’s vandalism.
If you try to escape, they will
Betroth you to a Dewey Dell
Unsweet and looking for a fix.
Simple to spectacular. No, it’s
Scrawling all over a beautiful postcard and
Losing the return address. No, it’s always been the
Arms, inviting, full of loving harm.

4 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

No Fair! You can't write a better poem for me than I wrote for you!!!!!

No...but...really--thank you, profound thanks, this is beautiful. Really...wow! This is better than any good news I got last week. Really.

Okay...damn...now I gotta get poeting extra-hard.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger RL said...

You're welcome. Not better, it doesn't have a single music reference.

I'm going back and forth trying to decide if I should change the second to last word from "loving" to "tender" -- I'll wait and see what I think tomorrow.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

Reb,

I think "loving" works better than "tender" here.

And, btw, it DOES have a single music reference: "boxcar waiting" is a Pixies reference.

T.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger RL said...

OK, loving it stays.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home