Thursday, June 03, 2004

How to Impress a Gal

Every weekday (weather permitting) I walk 3 miles outside on the paths and then I usually follow that with 2-3 miles on my treadmill blasting music (cause I learned on Dr. Phil one can hit a "plateau" and have to ramp it up a bit to see more results). I don't use a walkman when I walk outside for obvious reasons. One, I want to hear the birds singing, cicadas chirping, geese hissing, wind blowing, twigs snapping, etc. But more importantly, I want to be aware of my surroundings in case someone tries to bum rush me.

Typically, I'm a friendly person and happy to say hello, make brisk passer by chit chat. I'm from Pittsburgh, it's what we do best. If it's somebody I see on a daily basis, like the elderly Japanese man jogging with hand weights, I am even more at ease. I have blog buddies and I have path buddies. Rarely does a day go by when a group of workers (construction, landscaping, etc.) don't stop what they're doing, gawk and often make a comment. They've been working all day and are just looking for a momentary distraction. On these paths they probably get a bunch of momentary distractions, but whatever, I'm not stingy with my hellos. Same goes for the creepy dudes who sit on the benches by themselves leering. A quick "hiya" and I'm on my way. I walk with purpose, pump my arms, so usually people don't try to stop me for extended idle chit chat. I exude: "Gotta Be Someplace."

As long as they don't try to get me into their cars or expose themselves (both have happened several times), it's all good. And I'm not out trying to find an afternoon quickie partner, so it really doesn't matter to me what these men have to say. But, today I had two men, one guy sitting on a chair outside of a barber shop and one guy milling around with 6 or 7 other workers comment to me about the weather within 40 feet of each other. The weather! Nothing impresses a gal less than talking about the weather. Well, maybe network security might impress a gal less, but you get my point. Oh yes, I think you do.

4 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

I walk every morning about 3-5 miles (depending on how late I get up), without Dr. Phil or Oprah's assistance, and NOBODY every gawks at me. True, I'm a tubby, stocky man with a shaved head, but I ain't get NO LOVE. I do get hissed at by pissed-off mama and papa geese however. And it's only the Canadian ones. Standard-Issue geese don't fuck with me. I'm jealous.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger RL said...

Yeah, us gals with big asses get all the love. I'd gladly trade you the attention of landscapers for a bowl of those Yukon Gold potatoes.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger shanna said...

I like it when they say "God bless you." How can you get mad about that?

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

Big Bottom Girls make the rockin' world go 'round.
(I'm sure D. Nester would agree)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home