Thursday, August 26, 2004

Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Just got back from the beach this evening. Managed to only burn part of my arms -- succeeded in keeping the face (canvas) protected with sunscreen and big hat.

Read many wonderful submissions. Heartened. Not sure how many to take. What to do, what to do. When first discussing the No Tell concept with a few friends, some expressed concern that it would be difficult to offer consistent quality by publishing so many different poets and requiring a minimum of five poems from each. While I felt confident it could be done properly, their doubts did give me pause. I suppose it's still early on and only time will tell, but I'm excited about the work coming up and already am torn over certain submissions. Also, I no longer feel bad about past rejections I've received from journals.

Tender Buttons suggested doing a "Weekend Quickie" where we publish poems on Saturday/Sunday by poets that "almost" got selected for the regular weekly feature. Yeah, like I don't have enough enemies already. "Um, I'm not willing to take you out for dinner and a movie, but I'll give you ten minutes with me in this closet."

Clearly lawyers do not understand the poetic ego -- clearly an entirely different beast from the lawyer ego.

5 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Anthony Robinson said...

I think TB is on to something. And here's why: say I submit eight poems, but you only really really like 3 of them. Not enough for a weekly feature, but a weekend quickie poet I can be 1 to 3 times. I wouldn't mind!!!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Heidi Lynn Staples said...

I agree with Tony bout your Tender Buttons there. I think it's a pretty good ol' idea. If you're worried muchly about hurting folks feeliings, you might position the weekender not so much as an almost-acceptance but just as a particular slot in the schedule that utilizes an acceptance of two/three poems rather than a full five.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger RL said...

God damn it! You people are not supposed to be siding with my little sister! First Chris agrees with her, now fellow poets. I'm so alone.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit, if I go to the trouble of hammering out a mess of altoums, I don't want some second-rate poet stealing my prime time!

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its like doing a few off-Broadway plays until you get your big break.

Though I did expect the poets to be a bit touchier about it and show some artistic temperament.

tb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home