Friday, September 17, 2004

Big Money

So Tupelo Press' cash award for this year's Dorset Prize is $10,000. Not that any of my manuscripts have ever fared well over there in the past. I like many of the books they've published, especially Jennifer Michael Hecht's The Next Ancient World and Anna Rabinowitz's Darkling.

Last year's Dorset Prize was $3,000. This is a hefty increase. It makes me wonder how they're able to offer $10,000 this year. Do they collect enough in contest fees where they can pay the prize, the judge, printing costs and do marketing for the book? Did they get a grant that I haven't heard of? Are their books sales that good? I'm not trying to imply suspicion, just curious. Good gracious, I heard of five figure advances before--from my non-fiction and novelist friends.

2 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you haven't had the time with all this blogwash to put your mouth where the money is, and it is there. Where? Tupelo, I know they are legit, and if you were a poet, my dear, they would know it.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Reb said...

Dear Brave Anon, I never said they weren't legit, merely wondered were they got the money. I have a number of their books and consider them a fine press. You're the nasty little one implying something else. No one is forcing you to read all this "blogwash", so how about you go fuck yourself and leave me alone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home