Monday, January 10, 2005

iAncient

This weekend I took my new iPod out of its box. I ordered one for Chris for Christmas and received two. I'm not complaining. I wanted one and figure its a good way to tune out distractions, stuff like telephones and cries and desperate calls for help. The gods took my cat, but gave me this lovely parting gift. (Of course, the battery on my 3 year old iBook fried yesterday, gods are a fickle bunch.) The iSkin (pink) Chris ordered arrived this morning, which is kind of neat, it's supposed to protect my iPod from getting smashed up, smelling like an old man, contracting the iHerp, whatever. Of course, I think $29.99 is ridiculous for a rubber sheath. But it is a rubber sheath with a clip and I'll use that clip when I can get back on the treadmill.

I'm dusting off some of my older CDs and re-discovering all this music I haven't listened to in over 10 years (Dead Can Dance, what where we smoking and why does it keep reminding me of Geek Love? Speaking of which, Larry Leonard you never returned my copy loaned to you '94.), stuff I used to play on WRCT when I was DJ Lola Coca Cola (among other things). And iTunes lets me find the older music, for instance if I still had my Chaka Kahn album (did you steal it, TB?) I wouldn't have anything to listen to it with anyhow.

Right now I'm listening to my "Long I Mix - 1" The "I" stands for inspirational. It's a subjective word. I'm not sure how Suzanne Vega's "Luka" falls into that category, but I put it there. Right after John Mellencamp's "Your Life is Now" and Simon and Garfunkle's "A Hazy Shade of Winter." I'm officially 60 years old.

9 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Your taste in music will age well, even if you don't. ;)

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As your legal counsel and all around killjoy, I wouldn't recommend public posting of your accidental windfall. Plus I'm still bitter that you didn't give it to me. But I'm glad to see you're protecting your Ipod from having the hoagie breath your laptop is infused with.

And I do not have your Chaka Khan album! Just the Monkees and that's so totally mine now.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger C. Dale said...

I just love this post. I gave my partner a new iPod, but no iSkin. Now, I just pray he doesn't feel inferior when he goes to the gym.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger RL said...

LJA, hmm, my writing has officially been deemed mediocre and ridiculous -- but thanks for the kind words. Now I can reply to F.W. and tell him I'm big with the youth in Europe.
--------
Edie Brickell's "Circle" is included in my "inspirational" playlist. I'd post the whole list here but I'm not sure I could bear the public humilation.
--------
TB, perhaps you might not want to publicly cop to taking my Monkees album without my consent. Just because you got it signed by Davy and Mickey doesn't give you ownership. That's why giving you the 2nd iPod wasn't in my heart. That and because your computer was broken and you don't have high speed access. Oh, and you're a lawyer, aren't you supposed to be rich or something? Maybe when you're finished trying to guilt a poor poet out of her iPod fortune, you can go down to the soup kitchen and rip the crusts of bread from a hobo's mouth.
--------
To not feeling inferior! No matter how dorky we become with age!

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think adverse possession kicks on after 7 years on Monkeees albums, and I've had that for damn near 10. Plus, you abandoned it at Dad's! You know what that means for your prized childhood possessions--you're lucky that album didn't become one of Simon's chew toys! (Yes, Dad--I'm still bitter that you gave the dog my German bear)

Anyway, as you can tell I'm preparing my defenses for the inevitable time that you take me to Judge Judy over this.

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger RL said...

Until you can afford your own iPod, you're probably safe from my lawsuit wrath. It has to be worth the effort.

But perhaps now would be a good time to bring dear Dad before Judge Judy. He threw away my LOGO manual. That probably would fetch a fair price on eBay from a nerd/programmer collector.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

Reb, the iPod needs the iCondom. You need protection. How do I know where your iPod's been?

By the way, the iSkins aren't 100% wear proof. I cracked the faceplate of my iPod at the gym backing into a weight machine. The LED display's messed up and repairs would cost the same amount as a new iPod. So keep the sucker safe.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger RL said...

Oliver, are you implying my iPod is loose?

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

Loose? Well let's just say they shuffle from one song and dance to another quite regularly, those iPods. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home