Friday, December 31, 2004

The Sad End to 2004

Chris and I were having a lovely time on our trip, a mixture of nickel slots (for me) and skiing (for Chris). I won $250 playing my birthday at roulette (Gideon's numbers and astrological sign brought jack in terms of luck).

Last night Clyde's vet called. We were boarding him there because with his diabetes he needs to eat and be checked on a regular schedule. The first call was to inform us that Clyde was in a coma and they were doing everything possible to revive him (insulin, oxygen, etc.). The second call was to inform us that he passed away.

As you can imagine, we were pretty upset. After hearing the news I was convinced that there must have been some negligence on the vet's part because Clyde seemed fine when we left him there, in fact he seemed better than fine. After all the weight loss he was moving around really well. When we dropped him off Monday morning, it didn't even occur to us that he was a few days from death. On further reflection, I guess it was just his time and it was better that he was at the vet's when this happened and not at home for either us or a family member checking in to find him. Then it would have been, "if only someone had been around we could have saved him."

But I do have a tremendous amount of guilt. I don't think his last four months were very happy for him. When we discovered his diabetes, he was put on a crash diet of prescription food. He was always hungry. Also, the past four months the house has been under various forms of construction with various loud men coming in and out. This caused Clyde a lot of distress. Bizarre changes, strange smells and lots of horrible noise. Lastly, on the advice of several books, I had been giving both cats less attention than normal to prepare them for life once the baby arrives. So Clyde's last four months were that of starvation, terror and neglect. His last few days were in a cage in a room with other cats (which he hates). Yeah, I'm really comforted.

9 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very sorry about your cat. :(

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Paul said...

It's always awful to lose a pet, especially due to illness. I had to have my cat put to sleep a few months ago due to either uncontrollable feline asthma, or what appears more likely, lung cancer. I'm sorry about Clyde.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Radish King said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about Clyde. Very sorry. This kind of loss can be deep and sorrowful because they don't have voices to tell us (that they love us, that they were happy after all.) I wish I could bring you food.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Heidi Lynn Staples said...

Reb, Oh no! What terrible news! I'm so sorry to hear about Clyde. It's simply terrible to lose a beloved pet. You worry that he was unhappy, but from here, he seems to have been a very lucky kitty with a wonderful life organized by an attentive and thoughtful care-taker. Hope you're getting lots of rest. --Heidi

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

Oh, darlin! So hard and so sad. My thoughts are with you.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger MASchiavo said...

My dad had to put our cat Oakley to sleep this spring. I visited dad and Oakley in Florida in March and my dad told me Oakley'd been sneezing blood. He was very affectionate as always but there were times, especially the day I left, when he was really mean and nasty. I think he knew his time was up and maybe just wanted to go. Turns out he had a tumor of some sort and my dad did what he had to do.

It is tough to lose an animal, but I always try to remember that for as much as I loved Oakley, and my dog Tramp, and my other cat Tigress, they were animals. Maybe not "just" animals, but if I had to choose between getting one or all of them back, and getting my mother back, well, the choice is obvious.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger shanna said...

Aw, sweet kitty. Good night, Clyde.

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

So sorry to hear about Clyde. We've talked about my diabetic cat Emily, I'll be bordering her when I go to AWP.

I've also had a cat pass away at the vet when I wasn't there and it was heartbreaking. I felt so guilty as well, so I understand that and the feeling of not being there. However, (trusting there was no negligence on the vet's part) that's where Clyde would have been whether you were home or not as had he slipped into a coma or perhaps, started showing signs of sickness, you would have most likely brought him in.

Anyway, I am just so sorry to hear that and I really can't offer you much except my narrative on how it isn't your fault and that I hope you feel better and that I'm sorry.

Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home