Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Someone's Been Googling His Name

Came home from a late night supper to find an angry and insulting e-mail from a pulitzer prize winning poet known for his angry letters. He took issue with what I consider to be fairly innocuous comments I wrote about his participation at the Dodge festival. Nevermind that I also wrote how I enjoyed his reading and I admired his work. My offense was that I dared poke fun at his (well-earned) reputation and disagreed with what he said in a panel about MFA programs. I won't post his name or the e-mail but I don't think it takes a genius to figure out who I'm referring to. Speaking of "genius" he made sure to point out that my lack of it was quite glaring. Oh and that I was a ridiculous mediocrity and folks like me are ruining the medium of poetry and . . .

. . . well, I responded and . . . I called him a penis. Yeah, I know, but if he's going to go around sending nasty bile like that to strangers, this suffering pregosaurous in her last few weeks ain't gonna hold back either. I have the excuse of hormones and stress and intense discomfort. He probably has a good excuse too -- one of those exciting, made-for-TV excuses. His excuses are probably brilliant. I, on the other hand, am a drooling ninny and could only come up with "genius rhymes with penis and that's what you are!"

Now excuse me, it's time I get back to building the PoeticoDestructo 5000. Once I'm finished ruining poetry for all y'all I'm going after macrame. I fucking hate that shit.

6 Comments:

At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a prima donna. Your comments in the original post were so balanced and well-reasoned, you wouldn't expect a panel regular to react so poorly in response (then again, maybe it makes perfect sense). Honestly, it stinks of someone used to people gushing over every turd that comes out of his mouth -- he just can't stand the thought that he could be wrong, and he doesn't have the decency to engage in a respectful, nuanced discussion.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it amusing that it took him so long to get around to offering you his standard-issue, vitriolic tongue lashing. You'd think he could come up with something more imaginative with such a long delay. Then again, perhaps he had several more urgent offenders to abuse before he could get to you.

Take note of my anonymous posting. I don't need another nasty e-mail from the papist toad.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Paul said...

He didn't ...

Surely, it's not who I think it is.

Tell me it isn't.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger son rivers said...

I remember reading that post. Don't remember it being controversial. So went back to check it. Nope. A very reasoned piece. I enjoyed it again. So yeah, I guess he is one. But a small one, donchathink? ;-)

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, lordy, lordy. What a stinking thing to have happen. At least he didn't threaten to kill you, right? Doesn't he have anything better to do with his time?

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never known such an angry googler. You are not the first, you won't be the last.

I do hope the history books make note of this.

Actually, what we should just randomly start dropping his name all over the internet. He'll be all over the place.

Or better why don't we all try to get angry letters from him and compose a book. Angry Letters from a Pulitzer Prize Winner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home