Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Joon!!!

June always seems like such a big deal. Warm weather, end of school, vacations, sunburn, bikini waxes . . . Last June I found out I was pregnant, was miserably ill and lost my 91 year-old grandmother. I also contemplated getting a gun, taking a dear friend out back and putting him out of his misery. Must have been those damn pregnancy hormones. Oh god, I am so thankful not be pregnant this summer. I know a few of you out there reading this are pregnant and yes, I'm very happy for you and yes, it's wonderful and you'll be so happy when you have that little baby (or will eventually, don't fret if that happiness isn't instantaneous), but let me be clear: I am so happy I'm not you right now. I am so happy not to be pregnant -- especially in the summer.

I remember late last August I was four months pregnant, not really showing, just having that little tummy and wearing my low-rise pants just a little bit lower than a woman in her 30's should. I was at the beach, in an outlet store, bent over, perusing bedsheets when two cows walked by, one said in a rather loud voice "crack alert" and the other cackled. I looked around and I was the only person in the vincinity. I placed my hand on my backside and yes, those bitches were refering to my ass crack. When I got home I marched myself to Mimi Fucking Maternity and purchased pants that fit properly. There I met a 7 week pregnant ninny who was already shopping for maternity gear. "I'm so excited that I can finally shop here!" she kept exclaiming. Being excited about a baby, I get that, but being excited about maternity clothes? Even nice designer maternity clothing, you have got to be kidding me. Chris felt I was harsh on the young lady. I don't think so. If I could have gotten away with it, I would have slapped her for her own good. This past weekend I walked past that same Mimi Fucking Maternity and the glee of not having to shop there was overwhelming.

This post is a distraction from writing my "Crucial Rooster" column. Shh, we don't want An Angry Booker.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Charles said...

Women were always saying how excited they were when they got to shop at Gap Maternity (when I worked at babyGap). And the thing was, our clothes were the same clothes as regular Gap, just...you know, a little more forgiving.

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you! Almost eight years after I gave birth following a planned and perfectly fine and uneventful pregnancy, I STILL look at pregnant women and my first thought is "I'm so glad that's not me." I wrapped up (rather than started) my pregnancy in summer, and still recall all too vividly that swollen, about-to-split-open-like-an-overripe-fruit feeling exacerbated by being hot and sticky. My theory: the final month of pregnancy is nature's way of making you eagerly, even desperately, anticipate childbirth. My first thought upon waking up to my water breaking was "hallelujah, now we can get on with things."

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I would get excited if I could find some damn regular clothes that are 'little more forgiving.' I went this morning to buy maternity clothes and was horrified at some of the crap out there. Anyway, just chiming in to say that I love being pregnant. I feel like a goddess when I'm pregnant--I don't care what season I'm due. Now, actually birthin' those babies, I'm not so keen on--probably because I don't have those child bearin' hips that come in handy at times like that. ;-)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

PS
Alberto's back in town--

Check out:

http://little-emerson.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home