Monday, July 11, 2005

Don't Drop the Baby

For the first time, I dropped the baby.

I didn't exactly drop him.

This afternoon at a family picnic I was carrying Gideon and walking down a hill.

I lost my footing and fell forward.

All I could think was "Don't drop the baby!"

He never left my arms and I managed not to land on top of him.

Yet the back of his head did hit the ground and everyone heard the thud.

He's fine. Cried for about ten seconds.

I'm blogging about this because I feel a tremendous amount of guilt.

Not mentioning it feels almost deceitful.

So there you go. On Sunday I dropped my baby. He's over it.

I'm not.

5 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Blogger jwg said...

sounds like the pass should be ruled complete.

also. Better to drop yr own baby or someone else's?

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds fine to me. A knock on the head will probably help him, long-term - the world is a cruel and difficult place, and everyone falls ove r...

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you at least ensure the side that hit was not the side that is still flat??? Secretly you were trying to round out that head of his weren't you!

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait til he gets big enough to get around on his own and starts dropping himself on his head. That's what kids do!

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I got about 8 concussions in my time, and I'm not too bad off... too bad off... I mean, I don't have no fancy 'advanced degree' or nuttin' but I'm not too bad off, I don't think atleast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home