Sunday, May 21, 2006

Had a great weekend with Bruce Covey at BEA. He told me so many outrageous and shameful things about you (followed immediately with "and don't put THAT on your blog!") -- if I seem kind of weirded out next time we meet, it's probably
because I know all about that thing you don't want anyone to know about. And trust me, you don't want that getting around.

The BookExpo was both amazing and appalling -- it made the AWP Bookfair look downright ghetto. The fanciest booth at AWP (Lulu), was positively dinky and dwarfed at BEA.

We stopped by the Coffee House booth and discussed an awesome up and coming Iowa poet they'll soon be publishing. Hung out for a while at the SPD booth, finally met Brent Cunningham and that guy who didn't like Dancing in Odessa, Ray McDaniel. Lunched with Katie Jamison of Lulu and gave her my wishlist (more paper choices, matte covers, better online documentation) and found out that the current paper is indeed acid-free. Drinks with Nick Twemlow sharing plans and ideas for our book presses.

Picked up some free review copies of hopeful "next big thing" novels. Think I'll give those to my grandmother. I took one simply because of its title, The Yummy Mummy. If I had time to read a novel, I'd read that.

Also grabbed an apron for Chris and a squishy little piggie for Gideon. Can't recall what either freebies were promoting.

Oh, caught a glimpse of Jim Belushi signing his latest audio book. How could I forget that? Didn't stop to get in line. Might have if it was John.

Suffering from the worst bout of pollen allergies ever. Lost my voice -- just like I did in Miami when I hung out with Bruce.

I'm sensing a pattern.

4 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Glad you were at the BEA. I thought you'd been eaten by what was under the deck.

(WHAT WAS UNDER THE DECK!?
WHAT WAS UNDER THE DECK!?)

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger RL said...

I don't know. Last night I thought it was in the tree, tonight I think it's back in the chimney. Maybe it's an elf?

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger shanna said...

Bruce possesses a spell for laryngitis? My voice was strained after hanging out with him in Atlanta too, but I thougt that was because the blues at the BBQ joint was SO LOUD I HAD TO YELL. But now, I dunno know...a guy that tall could totally be magic. ;)

(hi bruce!)

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger RL said...

Maybe that's how a nice guy like Bruce gets blabber mouths to shut the hell up -- he doesn't risk hurting our feelings -- he uses magic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home