Thursday, October 05, 2006

This weekend I'm getting a reprieve -- a much needed opportunity to work uninterrupted on a number of projects I'm behind. The two main priorities are No Tell Motel galleys and The Bedside Guide to No Tell Motel -- The Second Floor. This is always the case for me -- I decide to do things and underestimate how much time is necessary and I'm always short on time. Sometimes the excitement of a project finally reaching fruition is overshadowed by exhaustion. It shouldn't be that way.

So this weekend, the only recreation I'll allow myself is a brief shopping trip on Friday afternoon and Dr. Phil on TiVo -- but I can work on galleys at the same time -- I only need to hear his smooth reasonable Texas drawl.

Well, I'll probably go out and take a walk too, if the weather permits. I haven't been doing that recently. You see, my neighborhood is being plagued by a steak knife-wielding wacko. In the last month he's attacked 5 women within a half mile of my home including sexually assaulting of a teenage girl several hundred yards from my front door. It's unsettling to see one's street sign on the evening news and front page of locals newspapers. The last incident got a lot of press coverage and there haven't been any additional reports -- that doesn't make me feel much better. I don't believe people like that can just stop, they might be able to take a break, but they don't just stop -- they have to be stopped.

So I'm sitting around waiting for him to be stopped.

That's the news from me. Busy and uneasy about leaving the house.

5 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

That's a horrible feeling. When I was a teenager, my family moved to a neighborhood where a young girl named Cassidy Senter had recently been kidnapped and killed. You never saw any kids outside playing on my street, not ever.

Hope you feel safer soon.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Jill said...

:-/

I carry a switchblade when I go out. Seriously. I mean, don't really need it here what with all the swiss army knives and passifism (passivism?) but it's fast to open and sharp as hell. It made me feel loads better walking in my pimpy ghetto-ey austin neighborhood where every week we got a little card in the mail with a name and photo of a new sex offender that had moved into the neighborhood...

I also used to whip it out and nonchalantly pare my apple when my students werent paying attention.

Good luck with the relaxation, the galleys, and the fear-fighting.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Harrlynn said...

why not move? sounds like a pretty difficult place to live. why would you want to live in a dangerous situation you could easily remove yourself from. is it your fate to get knifed? do you really want to find out?

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger steve mueske said...

I hear you about the exhaustion thing. Sometimes I wish I could just clone myself and make the other copies do the work. I have to remember to take more time to transition between things. Like you, it always seems that I'm behind and I always underestimate the time. I think it is because projects are so fun and you jump into them with a certain eagerness to see them come to life.

Hope you are well. You are doing amazing work!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Reb said...

Thanks Steve -- yeah, I do really enjoy (most aspects of) working on these projects. I always want to start additional ones and have to stop myself.

Of course we're no good to anyone if we don't take care not to drain ourselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home