Thursday, October 05, 2006

This weekend I'm getting a reprieve -- a much needed opportunity to work uninterrupted on a number of projects I'm behind. The two main priorities are No Tell Motel galleys and The Bedside Guide to No Tell Motel -- The Second Floor. This is always the case for me -- I decide to do things and underestimate how much time is necessary and I'm always short on time. Sometimes the excitement of a project finally reaching fruition is overshadowed by exhaustion. It shouldn't be that way.

So this weekend, the only recreation I'll allow myself is a brief shopping trip on Friday afternoon and Dr. Phil on TiVo -- but I can work on galleys at the same time -- I only need to hear his smooth reasonable Texas drawl.

Well, I'll probably go out and take a walk too, if the weather permits. I haven't been doing that recently. You see, my neighborhood is being plagued by a steak knife-wielding wacko. In the last month he's attacked 5 women within a half mile of my home including sexually assaulting of a teenage girl several hundred yards from my front door. It's unsettling to see one's street sign on the evening news and front page of locals newspapers. The last incident got a lot of press coverage and there haven't been any additional reports -- that doesn't make me feel much better. I don't believe people like that can just stop, they might be able to take a break, but they don't just stop -- they have to be stopped.

So I'm sitting around waiting for him to be stopped.

That's the news from me. Busy and uneasy about leaving the house.

3 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Patricia Lockwood said...

That's a horrible feeling. When I was a teenager, my family moved to a neighborhood where a young girl named Cassidy Senter had recently been kidnapped and killed. You never saw any kids outside playing on my street, not ever.

Hope you feel safer soon.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger steve mueske said...

I hear you about the exhaustion thing. Sometimes I wish I could just clone myself and make the other copies do the work. I have to remember to take more time to transition between things. Like you, it always seems that I'm behind and I always underestimate the time. I think it is because projects are so fun and you jump into them with a certain eagerness to see them come to life.

Hope you are well. You are doing amazing work!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger RL said...

Thanks Steve -- yeah, I do really enjoy (most aspects of) working on these projects. I always want to start additional ones and have to stop myself.

Of course we're no good to anyone if we don't take care not to drain ourselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home