Sunday, May 20, 2007

bed shopping

The pedatrician said once Gideon's nipple is as high at the top bar on the crib he'd be capable of climbing out. Well he's been tall enough for over a year, but never tried. He likes his crib and enjoys playing in it, sometimes for hours. According to other parents I know, that's unusual, but then again Gideon has never been in a rush to meet any milestone -- good or bad. Ask me about potty training! No, don't ask me about potty training. Please.

You know, one time, many years ago, I wrote this long manifesto on potty training and sent it to my friend, the friend who stores every single piece of e-mail he's ever received. He found it a while back and resent it to me and a few of our dearest friends. Oh boy, people who don't have kids should not write manifestos on potty training. It's a karma generating offense.

Anyhow, this past week I thought we better not push our luck with the crib much longer. Yesterday we looked at twin beds. Most of the ones we saw were either giant pieces of furniture too big for his room or too high or too girly or too something, so we looked online. I think we might have found one. Not a moment too soon. Maybe looking at all those beds inspired him, he fell out this morning. Right into his laundry hamper.

Finally my boy is showing a little ambition. Maybe this means he's also ready to stop whizzing all over the bathroom floor.

10 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ginger Heatter said...

When my daughter was a toddler, I hated all that competitive milestone crap. I still do. As I recall, I learned how to write my name, tie my shoes, and say my alphabet in kindergarten--because that's just how it was done when and where I came from. Now that Jacinda's about to enter middle school, I don't even remember anymore how old she was when she crawled or said her first word or gave up the bottle. What's more, these days I'm distinctly opposed to her maturing more quickly than her classmates. I mean really, who wants their daugther to be *1st* when it comes to kissing boys or getting boobs or tasting beer? Sheesh.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger RL said...

I agree! Of course, I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that my son is the last to do everything -- except grow taller. 95th Percentile -- Woo-hoo! My kid is taller than 95 percent of all the other kid his age -- my boy is HEIGHT ADVANCED! All those other parents can wallow in their kid's sad little shortiness.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger RL said...

I should also add my boy is 99 percentile in good lookingness.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

Here's how lazy I am. I bought Mose a toddler-bed mattress (JUST the mattress). Put it on the florr next to his crib, in hopes he'll just roll around on it and get used to it, so we can just dump him out onto the floor when new-baby is ready for the crib.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am the "friend who stores every single piece of e-mail he's ever received". I would be most happy to post the "long manifesto on potty training". Rebecca just has to say the word... :-)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger RL said...

No, no, no. I am NOT saying the word. I am not giving permission. My sister is a lawyer. My husband is a giant. I'm ham crazy. I will set you on fire.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Reb is *so* not fun...

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

By the time you and I have grandchildren the internet and blogs will be as old and unremembered as the turntable and records.

Didi

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Marcus said...

Sam, you aren't the only one. :-)

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it took me and the missus quite a while to pick our first kids beds, we wanted it to be comfy, safe and reliable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home