Monday, June 16, 2008

Wow, a bunch of folks don't know about RSS feeds. Click here to read about RSS Feeds. Not knowing doesn't make you a dork or a dweeb, just incredibly old and out of touch. Oh I kid! Two popular RSS readers are Google Reader and Bloglines. There's others. I used to use the one built into the Safari browser, but once a month it would vomit all the old blog posts and suddenly I'd have 4000 "new" posts. Very annoying. Now I use Google Reader cause I'm a good corporate wife.

Most blogs have RSS feeds. A few don't. I secretly curse bloggers who don't have RSS feeds. Well, it's not a secret anymore, I guess. Why do they torment me so? What did I ever do to them? I have feelings, god damn it.

As for Facebook, I would discourage anyone who hasn't yet gone on from signing up. It's a thousand times worse than I imagined. People I never met are giving me massages and throwing things at me. Within 10 minutes of creating an account Nick Carbo bit and turned me into a zombie in his army. WTF? Last week I showed Chris my Green Patch and Sea Garden (sounds dirty, doesn't it?) and explained how I was saving the rainforest and ocean by sending people pretend plants and water creatures. He was very quiet and finally said "As long as you're having fun." That's when I realized I hit a new low. My husband will never look at me the same again.

Anyhoo, my incredibly loud friend Ivan (who I once threw to Nick to feed on) is coming over today. Ivan considers himself shy. Yeah, he's a regular Peter Tork. I already told Gideon he's allowed to shhh him. We're looking forward to it.

5 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Radish King said...

I turned my RSS feeds off because sometimes the Monster Girl comes at night and posts things on my blog that I'm sorry for in the morning and then I have to delete them. Once I noticed they didn't delete themselves from the feeds, I felt like I was constantly walking around with a long strip of toilet paper attached to my shoe.
tor

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Glenn Ingersoll said...

I've been bought & sold as a pet by friends on facebook. I've been poked & invited to take trivia quizzes. I don't feel bad about ignoring all this, frankly.

What I feel bad about is refraining from friending people I don't know. Maybe I should know them, I keep thinking.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Collin Kelley said...

Ah-ha! Rebecca just answered the question I was going to ask her...where was her RSS feed. I'm also a Google Reader zombie, but it does make keeping up with blogs so much easier that I can't live without it.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Matt Walker said...

I've never been able to figure out how or why to use RSS to read blogs (I'm a crotchety old 26-year-old after all), so thanks for the links. Perhaps I will understand one day.

Meanwhile I really like the new blogger blogroll, which you can set up to show people in order of their most recent update. I've taken to refreshing my blog every 10 minutes just to see who's leapfrogging who. It's addictive. Which reminds me, I need to go do that now.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger RL said...

Matt, that sounds a lot like an RSS Feed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home