Friday, March 20, 2009

Spent the day doing taxes. For the the better part of the day it looked like we were getting a refund. We haven't received a refund in many years. Well, we're not receiving a refund, I just didn't immediately notice that one piece of paper had two distinct forms on it. There was income to still be declared. That not yet taxed kind of income. I went from a sense of pleasantness to eating a plate of pastries even though I wasn't hungry. That and TurboTax said that we're at "high risk" for an audit because both of our businesses spent more than they brought in (even though I spent much less in 2008). So we're likely candidates for a financial cavity search because we're both big losers. Well, I was always a loser, but usually Chris does better and I get to hide my poetry business behind his "something people want to pay for" business. Well, I have receipts and shit, so I shouldn't worry about it.

Taxes are the only thing that makes me feel any embarrassment for being a poet and publisher. The only time I ever feel like a fraud is when I declare to the government the monetary worth of what I do everyday.

2 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Collin Kelley said...

I'm doing my taxes next weekend, and I don't expect to receive a refund either. There are no research trips, readings, etc. to write off. Sigh.

Word verification: consist

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger D said...

The IRS has limited vision and thank heavens or they'd start taxing joy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home