Friday, April 23, 2004

Our Little Sam Becomes a Man

Probably the final comment on the subject of romantic friendships.

Sam says:

"I imagine I did understand. In which case I partially agree with you. Harry is pretty much correct in his conversation with Sally on this topic.

Of course, Rebecca points out the "romantic" thing and says not to forget that. You are correct in that it is not just strong emotional feelings, which would of course include strong negative feelings as well, but has to be something a bit different. Is strong positive feelings enough? No, probably not, because as you point out, that can include the types of feelings one has for siblings or children or whatnot.

But OK, can it be romantic without being sexual? Hmmm. I'm sure it can be romantic without being ACTUALIZED in a sexual way, but can it be romantic without some degree of non-platonic urges, even if not acted on? I'm not sure. I think to truly be "romantic" there has to be a component of pair-bonding that is associated with the biological urges related to sex (if not sex itself). Otherwise, is it really romantic, and not one of the other types of love? Those urges might be repressed or not acted on for whatever reason, but if they are not there at all, then I'm not sure calling it romantic would really be a fair characterization."


BTW, I mostly agree, I do think the urges have to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home