Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Ghost Girl

Sending you over to Verse to read a review by Kirsten Kaschock on Amy Gerstler's latest book. It's an intelligent and fair review although I don't entirely agree with it. I sense that some readers come to the book with certain expectations based on the title and the cover design. People seem to expect Amy to be a medium and the book to be a series of seances. She does that to a degree, yet I'm not sure if that was ever her main intent or if that's what she was trying to do. But that's what titles and book designs are meant to do -- frame it for readers and give them a first impression.

Ghost Girl is one of my favorite poetry books in 2004 and I'm happy Kirsten reviewed it because I don't think it's received its due consideration and attention. It's haunting and eery and beautiful and tender all at the same time. I consider Amy to be one of the most thoughtful poets writing today.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger shanna said...

duh. where the hell have i been. i didn't know it was out! ordering it right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home