Monday, September 19, 2005

A melancholy evening. Just sent out a big batch of "no thank yous" for No Tell. The biggest group of "close but not cigar" to date and there's still a bunch we haven't yet responded. Some editors don't mind sending out rejections. I do when the work has merit, but for whatever reason we don't go with it. I find it more difficult than receiving my own rejections. The only time I get upset about my own work's rejections is when I've deluded myself into thinking it was a "sure thing." It's never a sure thing. Since editing No Tell I rarely get upset when an editor decides not to take my work. Sure, I might mutter "whatever pig fucker, your loss", but I don't get upset.

What I don't mind is rejecting work that doesn't follow the guidelines. If you're only sending three poems, you don't read No Tell and I don't care if your feelings get hurt. I also stop feeling bad when after the "no thank you" the poet freaks on my ass. Don't freak on my ass. I never ever forget an ass freaking and that is something I take personally.

Chris just admitted the "Gideon First Cheerios" pictures are lost forever. He downloaded the pictures onto his computer and suddenly *poof*. Searching for the forgiveness in my heart. Those pictures were adorable.

There's no ice cream in the freezer.

6 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Humour and last laugh said...

interesting blog!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Cheer up. You're a great poet and I admire the hell out of you as an editor.

I also hate (writing/sending) rejections. Main reason I don't edit anymore. I need someone to be the bad guy, while I huddle in the corner, cackling and laying out text.

Make him go get you some ice cream. Dove pecan caramel. Last Gideon pic was adorable.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger RL said...

Thank you for your sweet words. I'm all cheered up.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Emily Lloyd said...

I edited Phoebe for the lengthy span of two months before I dropped out (of school, and of editing). I wrote the longest, most supportive rejections I could: try these journals (list of ten journals), oooh this part was nice, etc., etc. I think I spent more time of rejections than I did on writing my own poems.

The only submissions I didn't feel bad rejecting were the ones typed on purple paper, or covered with seashell stickers--I kid you not. One lavender-colored stickered cover letter boasted that the poet had been a finalist for the Yale Younger. I couldn't help wondering if she had turned her manuscript into Yale on lavender paper.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger shanna said...

ha ha. but i think i did hear that's how tony tost's distinguished itself amongst the slush! ;)

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger RL said...

I love purple! Thanks for sharing this important slush pile secret. Now my poems and I are going to go take over the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home