Sunday, August 06, 2006

Some Mommy Blogging

Took Gideon to the children's section of our local chain bookstore so he could select some books since apparently everything I pick out lately "sucks."

One of the books he chose was Ten Little Dinosaurs with gimmicky googly eyeballs. I didn't read it while I was there, but I did the standard flip though to make sure there weren't any nursing breasts inside. Would hate to have to explain to my son that women have things called breasts and some mothers feed their babies with them. My goodness, and what if my husband saw? It's not easy protecting one's family from the perversions of society.

So I didn't read it until we got home and you know what? It totally plagiarizes Eight Silly Monkeys. Or no, wait, it looks like Eight Silly Monkeys (copyright 2003) plagiarizes Ten Little Dinosaurs (copyright 1996).

Compare the first section of each:

Ten little dinosaurs bouncing on the bed,
Pachycephalosaurus fell off and broke his head.
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more boneheads bouncing on the bed."


with

Eight silly monkeys jumping on the bed.
One fell off and bumped his head.
Mama called the doctor
and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"


Either way, now I need to have the "plagiarism" talk with my 18 month old. I was really hoping I could avoid that completely and let the school system handle it one afternoon in Health class when he's older. That's why I pay taxes.

4 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Oooh, that is a nursery rhyme that has been around for a while--I have very beloved, i.e. gnawed to pieces, version from the early 80s telling the story of "8 Little Children," complete with a wheel you could rotate to show each "falling" off the bed by turns.

Surely there are poetry books that could be so interactive and satisfying.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger RL said...

God damn, how many times has this story been written?!? No wonder so many kids think it's OK to lift their papers off of the internet.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Amanda Auchter said...

Yeah, both Sesame Street and Reading Rainbow had the same rhyme when I was a kid, circa early 1980s. Only it was bears, not monkeys nor "boneheads."

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger shanna said...

10 little monkeys, jumping on the bed
one fell off and broke his head
momma called the doctor and the doctor said
"no more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

9 little monkeys jumping on the bed
one fell off, etc.

my nanny compton taught us this in the mid70s.
what's really dumb about it is that we were usually bouncing on the beds while we sang it. way to tempt fate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home