Thursday, August 10, 2006

It's August, summer is almost over and I'm trying to gauge how far I'm behind in my projects --

Bruce's book and Rebecca's chapbook are layed out and pretty much finished, PF's book is in the editing stage, my chapbook collaboration is completed, layed out and we've just begun the editing stage -- but half of it was edited earlier this year, so it shouldn't be too much work unless we decide to make major changes. You never know with collaborations -- especially when working with someone with different aesthetics. But I think mingling different styles make for more interesting collaborations and I'm happy with what we've accomplished over (on and off) the past two years.

All cover designs are all in different stages, but so far there are no indications that things won't be ready in time.

Responded to over half of the Bedside Guide submissions (only rejections sent so far, acceptances will go out last -- Molly and I are doing the whittle-down method). Still have to decide which No Tell Motel poems to include as well. This is all taking longer than expected. We have a designer and pretty much decided on the cover design.

Have a stack of manuscripts to read and consider for No Tell Books releases for late 2007. Maybe when I head to the beach at the end of the month.

Should have design sketches to consider for the No Tell Books website this evening -- hoping the designer will be able to get that up by September.

With the help of the brilliant and amazing Jill Essbaum edited my new manuscript into something I'm proud to have authored. Although I'm now leaning towards going against her advice regarding my title and may go back to my original. Sometimes staying in place is a process.

Sent the manuscript to one person considering starting his own press, if he does decide to start his press he says he'd like to publish it -- there's one concern (not related directly to the manuscript) that we'd have to make sure we're both OK with -- I'm OK with it. So maybe in the coming months I'll have news about a full-length book coming out. Or maybe I won't. It'll be fine either way. I'm not nearly as pre-occupied with this as I used to be -- my book will come out when its supposed to come out and I'm glad I'm no longer in my 20's under the ridiculous notion that anyone great made his/her mark before 30. That whole "gotta make my mark and gotta make it fast" was immensely self-defeating and only generated anxiety. Talk about going nowhere. I want to write poems and create books and create other things. I sincerely hope what I create is good and would be thrilled if it's appreciated by others. I have no desire to be great. I'm satisfied merely being fabulous.

11 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger shanna said...

you know there's no rule that says you can't put out your own book on no tell. or if there is ted berrigan says you can tell it to go eff itself.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger shanna said...

and i will have covers to you ASAP, promise. i didn't realize you were that close!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Jessica Smith said...

"my book will come out when its supposed to come out and I'm glad I'm no longer in my 20's under the ridiculous notion that anyone great made his/her mark before 30. That whole "gotta make my mark and gotta make it fast" was immensely self-defeating and only generated anxiety. Talk about going nowhere. I want to write poems and create books and create other things. I sincerely hope what I create is good and would be thrilled if it's appreciated by others. I have no desire to be great. I'm satisfied merely being fabulous."

That sounds very healthy. I am not that healthy. And I agree that you should put out your own book if you feel it's ready. Don't wait around for other people to know it's ready.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger RL said...

Shanna, I am putting out WANTON TEXTILES -- which is half mine, so yeah, I'm way past all those "rules" -- in fact, I've decided I make all the rules. I'm calling it my mommy privilege.

Of course, that's just what I call it, other people can apply it to themselves and call it whatever they like.

Jessica, I honestly went through a crisis when I was 25 that looking back on now is positively hilarious, but there was nothing funny about it at the time. I was crippling myself and nothing anyone said mattered, I think it was something I had to experience.

Now I heed my own advice I sometimes give to Chris at the dinner table: "It's not a race! Slow down and enjoy your meal -- it might be your last!"

Then he asks if I've been experimenting with the hemlock again.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger shanna said...

right-o! ok! reb's rules!

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Jessica Smith said...

it's that slight tinge of almond flavor we used to worry about with my mom's cookies...

too much roald dahl. (if there is such a thing as too much roald dahl.)

WANTON TEXTILES is a fab title.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger gina said...

Reb--settling on being merely fabulous is something I have decided to do too! So kudos to us--we rule!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Jessica Smith said...

reb, how did you get your book to show up on amazon?

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger RL said...

I got a global ISBN through Lulu ($150) -- the books shows up everywhere online -- even eBay. People can order it in bookstores too. Its easy, although the one drawback is that the ISBN is linked to Lulu and Lulu shows up as the "publisher" not No Tell Books. I could get ISBNs for No Tell Books (for cheaper, I think), but I've been erring on the side of ease as I start out.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger shanna said...

you can get ISBNs from Bowker, but just having an ISBN doesn't get you listed anywhere, unfortunately. so Lulu's global deal is pretty good, actually, because it combines the ISBNs and all the database listings that get you in Books in Print, Amazon, etc. (which cost money if you do them separately too, either in the form of fees or commissions.

If you get ISBNs from Bowker they're $240 for 10 if you can wait a few weeks and more if you need them express.

It's not that bigga deal that the databases say Lulu is the publisher, is it? Tho I guess once you've got more books people will want to look up the entire press catalog. Maybe Lulu will fix that if people ask.

Hey, have fun in Ithaca. I think I might go up there in the fall. Never been. S'posed to be purdy.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger RL said...

Lulu says they can't change how the publisher appears in databases on Amazon and other places. It's not a big enough deal for me not to use their global distribution. I sure don't have the time or inclination to deal with that stuff on my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home