Sunday, March 12, 2006

Apparently it was extremely difficult to get a cab last night due to the music festival -- so it was a smaller and intimate pajama party but the real disappointment was that nobody used the make-out room out back. So don't expect any slutty gossip from this party -- the debauchery was going on elsewhere. Sorry to those who tried to make it and couldn't and thanks to all those who did come out. I just wish you all would have eaten more of the cheese tray. My co-host Brent who let me have the party at his house is stuck with a pound of it and he's lactose intolerant.

Never again will I get a table at the AWP bookfair -- too much work and not enough sales and honestly the conference didn't do nearly enough to make it successful or even bring in foot traffic. And getting up 6:45 a.m. everyday so I could be there by 8 a.m. -- for the birds. I think I got 8 hours of sleep the entire conference. I can't hack the "working" AWP -- it severely cuts into my footsie time and without that, what's the purpose of life? Last night in the elevator, a woman attending the music festival observed me struggling with two boxes of unsold books and said "rough night?" and I almost cried on her shoulder.

Aside from all of that, I had a blast meeting everyone, attending readings, participating in the LIT/Redivider/Kitchen Press reading, participating in the DIY panel. Next year I'm just going to come out for those kinds of things.

I'm going to have lunch with PF in a little bit and then we're headed to the airport.

Blogging will be light this week -- I have to catch up on all the work I've neglected in preparation for Austin, spend time with Gideon and Chris, as well as catching up some sleep. Right now, I'm one batty broad.

3 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger shanna said...

i have to say, the bookfair is usually WAY more packed than it was this year. we usually sell almost everything we bring (and didn't this time either). i blame the idiotic decision to close the fair to anybody without a badge.

why the hell would you want to drop $85-$325 (depending on whether or not you're a conference participant or simply an attendee) to go book shopping?! sales taxes schmaxes, they should have let us all know about the change BEFORE we paid for our tables or at least before we schlepped all the books down there so we could have changed our plans.

the catalog does not mention "bookfair" in the "admission" section where it says "badges must be presented for admission to all meetings, panels, readings and receptions." they did have a readings stage in the bookfair area this time too, which i don't remember them doing before. and i don't recall seeing many asses in the chairs there either. too noisy.

they, uh, "welcome our feedback" and will "take all comments into account when planning next year's conference."

still, it was fun. sorry i missed your party. i bet cabs were hard to get last night. it was already insane downtown when we left around 3:00.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Patty said...

Reb --
Sorry about the bookfair; I spend most of my AWP time IN the bookfair, actually, so my perspective is skewed. It seemed crowded to me, and busy -- but granted, I'm not really trying to sell anything there. I kept trying to send folks to your table, and every time I looked over, there seemed to be a small crowd swarming around your table -- so I'm surprised it wasn't successful for you. (I talked up the book and blog to all the VCU grad students).

Anyway, hope you had some fun in Austin anyway. I left yesterday afternoon so missed your bash...but I thought Austin seemed like a pretty cool city. It was good to see you there, however fleeting!
Patty
p.s. really loving the book; had it w/ me for my 4 1/2 hour layover in Memphis...

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger François Luong said...

The party was great. Thanks for inviting me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home