Friday, January 13, 2006

That'snot funny

Is it February yet?

All three of us have colds, Gideon has an ear infection and may possibly be getting his third tooth. He won't let us look in his mouth. Apparently every time we come near his face it's to inflict one of the following unpleasantnesses:

1. Stick a rubber bulb up his nose to suck out snot
2. Spray saline solution up his nose
3. Wipe his nose and cheeks with a warm washcloth (I know -- that doesn't sound so bad to me either, but apparently it's a very uncool thing to do)
4. Squirt thick orange medicine down his throat with a syringe-ish droper

Did I mention that since he's been sick he gets up 4-6 times during the night? It's like he's a newborn again.

Sigh.

Mailed another set of review copies this evening.

Almost finished packaging the contributor copies.

Plan to make two trips to the post office tomorrow to mail those (one in the morning before Chris goes to work and one when he gets home).

See, I can mail review copies out at night -- that's only one book per -- roughly 12 ounces. I weigh and mail those when the post office is closed.

But the contributor copies are two books per -- well over 16 ounces -- I have to physically hand those to a postal employee.

I could schedule a pick-up at my house if I had a few priority mail packages in the mix -- which I could do -- but for that to happen all the packages have to already have the postage -- that means I need to go to the post office and get postage for 88 packages of about 180 books -- so I'm just going to bring it to them -- and that's hard to do with the boy because he's heavy as well -- and squirmy and uncooperative -- and draining snot at an alarming rate.

But all the contributor copies will be mailed on Friday -- unless Chris screws us all over and doesn't get home from work in time for me to make it to the post office before it closes -- then only half the contributor copies will be mailed on Friday and the rest will be mailed on Saturday or Monday and that would suck because I just want all this packaging and mailing business to be over.


Did I mention I'm going to Tahoe for a weekend in February?

I'm so leaving my laptop at home.

And Gideon.

5 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger shanna said...

reb, you should check out endicia. for a pretty reasonable yearly fee, it's like having a post office right at your desk. you can send first class, priority, media, or book rate mail, get delivery confirmations, buy postage online, integrate your address book, print labels, etc. it's the shiznit. then you just drop your pre-stamped pkgs in the nearest corner box. or if you still have to go to the post office for large pkgs, you generally don't have to wait in line since they're already weighed and metered. TOTALLY worth it if you mail lots of pkgs.

http://www.endicia.com

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger shanna said...

i use full-sheet sticker paper (can get two labels per sheet) and my little laser printer to do the labels. no need to get any fancy equipment other than a little postage meter from the office supply store.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger RL said...

I think that will be an investment I'll be making the the future.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger CLAY BANES said...

Another contingency.
If your packages are addressed and ready—with stamps, the lot—you can pay $12.50 and schedule USPS to pick up your everything.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger shanna said...

oops--that's what i meant. a little scale. not a meter.

the red ink for the postage meters is expensive, ain't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home